Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

I Will Meet You Where You Are

I love you how you are. I love you designed the way you are. I love you exactly where you are in all you do and can do.

Last night my girls, my book ends, participated in an amazing event where the over all theme is 'Every life matters.' The sanctity of life, from in the womb to a wise old great grandfather, equally matter in our world. I look at all 5 of my children, and all of their lives mean everything to me. And my book ends, well they represent such a bond, and yet such a distinctive difference in design and purpose.

You see, my oldest is who essentially created my title of being a mother, she is the one that set the standard for what I felt was needed of me in every way as a mom. She has done everything from rolling over, to walking, to talking, to even talking back “on time”. At 13, she has made motherhood, for me, what I expected and so much more. Then 5 years later when my 5th baby was born, my other bookend, she changed everything. She showed me another extreme. She showed me all the things that motherhood is, that I did not expect. She challenged me in my faith as I prayed fervently for each milestone to be met, even if very very “late”. She has widened my role as a mother and all that it includes. She has forced me to search deeper in my faith for the strength and wisdom to be the mom I need to be for her, as well as my other 4 kids.

Both of these little girls of mine have such a unique design, as we all do. And the common bond I personally find in them daily, is how they make me a better mother. Although in such different ways.

Last night, my oldest, our cheerleader, was fortunate enough to have an opportunity to cheer at a game that would have players who also stretch across the idea of design like my book ends. They also invited some younger children to help cheer the teams on. My youngest, for the 2nd year, was going to get to cheer at our “Special Friends” basketball game. The game of the year! The gym certainly filled past capacity. So many friends of ours, church and school, came to watch this event. Most of them with joyful tears in their eyes. And mainly tears due to watching kids with such different design and ability, come together and have the same bond over a sporting event. At this game, everyone is on the 'same playing field'. All those challenges, all those milestones are set aside as we all enjoy the life of each other.
Our sweet cheerleaders were so tender with the younger “special friends”. They helped them experience a wonderful night in the spotlight full of joy. There really are no words to explain it all, you really have to experience it in person.
My oldest sat on the 'side lines' last year and watched her sister be held by a cheerleader. She cheered a little, but was just soaking it all in. My oldest couldn't wait until this year because she would get to be with her. My book ends, my cheerleaders. I could tell from the moment we got there last night, that my littlest was unsure of it all. She is older now, and probably has more 'opinions' then she did last year. And that is a blessing! But last night it was just really too much. Multiple times we tried to get her cheering. We tried to even have her just sit with the cheerleaders and watch. It didn't last long and then she would be so upset.
I knew my oldest had seriously longed for this event. She wanted so badly for her to show the world(our little world) what her darling little sister could do. And at home she had done multiple cheers all afternoon. But that wasn't where she was at emotionally when we arrived at the game. She wasn't in a place she was comfortable. I could see the look on my oldest daughter's face. Concerned people might be staring at her sister. Upset that her sister wasn't enjoying the event. I walked over just about half time and suggested that after the half I take the littlest and my older daughter just finish the game with her friends. She was insistent that we try and let her do the 'half time' routine. As a mom, I knew this wasn't going to work out well. And the last thing I wanted for both of my girls was them in the middle of a basketball court with all eyes on them, and ciaos. But my oldest was beyond insistent, so I obliged. So, off the group of kids go to do the cheer. My littlest, she took about 4 steps on to the court and sat down. It was clear she wasn’t going to be with the “crowd.”   This first picture is our precious group of 7th and 8th grade cheerleaders, and our special friends cheerleaders.  It was far too much for my littlest. 


 I fully expected my oldest to give me the signal we came up with indicating, “Please come get her now”. And I didn't. What I saw was the sweetest moment. The moment that clearly says, “I love you how you are. I love you designed the way you are. I love you exactly where you are in all you do and can do.




Afterward I gave the littlest cheerleader to my husband. I pulled my big cheerleader aside and explain to her that what she did right there, is what this event is about. She met her sister where she needed to be. She didn't try and push her into something that was more 'acceptable'. She didn't hide embarrassed because she wasn't following the crowd. She sat down with her. She helped her cheer. She showed her unconditional love for who she is, right now, right there.

I couldn't help but think about how Jesus meets us where we are. Whether it is a mess (like in Mark 2 when Jesus goes to the tax collector and sinners) or if it is because we are in need of healing in our faith or our health (Like in Matthew 9 where Jesus goes into the town to heal people), Jesus meets us. He doesn't tell us, you have to be as wise as me. He doesn't tell us, you have to come to the most glorious place on earth to praise my name and hear my voice. He meets us. He meets us where we are at, so He can lead us to where we should go.

I will never see these 2 book ends the same, ever again. One teaching us to stretch all limits in what we think we can do, and one who is so willing to just meet you where you are, to love you.

Who are you meeting where they are at, to show them the unconditional love of Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment