Blog Archive

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Stop killing Christmas

I have the husband that doesn't jump at sharing his opinion. He usually focuses on what he can do to better himself as a person for our family.  Rarely does he even go outside the family on any type of critique. He is one of those men that saves his words, so when he does speak I certainly know it is of importance. He also never uses Facebook, with exception to an OSU game or our son's commentary on life.  Oh and the occasional ridiculous picture of me!  So again, when he does post something it certainly is something that he feels is very worth sharing.  Here is what I came across that he recently posted.  And to be honest his words ring so true.

I rarely rant, but indulge me. To the father who brought your 6 yr old to the rated R movie: Look, I get it. I have 5 kids and have seen every animated movie made in the last 12 years. If you hear "Let it go" one more time you're going lose your mind. So who doesn't want to see a good old war movie? But brotha, you got to leave the kids at home.
As a young man, I always loved the quote, "A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to its original state". Knowledge is powerful and that's good. But now, as a father, I see it very differently. Sometimes knowledge robs us of our innocence. It fades for us all eventually but our memories of our innocence are at the heart of our humanity. This is why trips to Disney World and Christmas traditions are so special for many of us. But just as it's hard to recall things that happened when you were very young, the younger you lose your innocence the harder it is to remember what it felt like. I know the world will take it from my kids eventually, but as a parent it is my duty to protect it for as long as possible. So, Dad in the theater, suck it up and wait. It'll be on Netflix in 3 weeks. In the meantime, quit killing Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment